Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Tolerable

Is it sacrilege to criticise The Clash?  Because I feel that the song 'Should I Stay or Should I Go' is pretty dumb, really.  

If I go there will be trouble; If I stay there will be double. 

So, I think, obviously I should go so there's half as much trouble.  Right?  There's not a whole lot of nuance to the argument.  The type or quality of the trouble might make a difference; if, for example, the financial trouble of leaving was less stressful for me to handle than the social awkwardness trouble of staying, it might give me pause.  There's a tangled state of affairs! But Mick makes it so clear.

* * *
I have a closet in my room, and I open its door to hang up my damp towels.  I just thrown them over the top corner, there's no hook or anything!  Ha, ha, civilization.  My towels are white.  Because of the contrast between the white lumpy drapey thing and the dark rest of the room, every night I think there is a tall, lurking man-from-beyond waiting to pounce on my drowsy form.  It gets me every time.

* * *
Good news: This has been a banner winter for static electricity strikes.   I've experienced maybe 10 all season, as opposed to my anticipated 10 per day.  Humidity?  Less time outdoors?  Better moisturizing habits?  That lightning rod I had implanted?  Can't explain it, can only enjoy it.

* * *
I told someone recently that I wouldn't do one of those Facebook 25 things, because that's pretty much what this blog is for and I'd rather have facebook be my calendar/junk drawer o' human experience.   And so it was, and so it shall be.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Your Clash criticisms are making me LOL.

Also, no one should do those 25 things lists in earnest. People who do are the enemy. Keep on keepin' on, Brenner.

rachael said...

I'm jealous of your dearth of static electricity... I shock things constantly, especially the pet kitty that i am currently fostering. yesterday i went to pet her and shocked her nose so hard that she glared at me for a good ten minutes and wouldn't let me pet her again. also--crazy--she SPARKLES with static electric shocks when i pet her in the dark.

glad i got that off my chest.

(p.s. http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1877187,00.html )